Removal of Cooker socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently revamping my kitchen and in the process have transfered to an all gas cooker. This has left me with a dedicated fused switch and socket connected directly to the consumer unit (either 30 or 45A). Does anyone know an easy way to remove or blank this off, or better still replace it with a double socket.

Sponsored Links
As long as the cooker circuit is wired to the RCD side of the consumer unit and protected by by a fuse or breaker not exceeding 32A, then you may replace the CCU with a socket outlet, use an MK socket outlet; the specfications state compatability with 6mm² cables.

Thanks for that. The cooker is on the RCD side and it is marked C32, which I'm assuming is 32A as the others are C32 for sckts and C6 for lights. Having another look I've got plenty of sockets in the kitchen is it possible to use a 30A junction box and to blank off the socket?

You could terminate the conductors in connector strip and fit a blank plate

If you wanted to loose it competely you'd have to disconnect the other end totally, and I'd not generally recommend this course of action.. if anyone ever needed to re-instate it then they'd have to dig to find the point, and then find out where the other end is, etc

Personally if it were me, I'd either leave it exactly how it is, or convert it to a socket outlet

Incidently, how have you powered the spark generator on the gas cooker?

A little concerned that all your breakers seem to be C-type, (are they all C type? or just the few you've listed?) normal thing in a house is B types for most stuff and the occasional C as and where required, having a domestic board full of C types begs the question of why!, who fitted the board? have you got a certificate for it?

Sponsored Links
Only moved into the house 6 months ago so no idea who installed the consumer unit, but we did get a full electrical inspection of the house carried out when we moved in. All the breakers are C type (is this a problem). I don't know if it makes any difference but the house is pretty split up with 5 breakers for sockets and 4 for lights and separates for cooker, water heater and central heating. As for the cooker we moved it into the chimney brest and had a qualified electrician sort out the wiring for the spark and the extractor. I'll swap a socket front over but anything else I go to the experts. As for the CCU I think I'll replace it for a socket as you can never have too many. Thanks again.

nothing wrong with C type breakers in a house or flat providing the EFLI is low enough..

in a conversion I was involved in many years ago, they made an old hospital into 30 flats, each with a merlin gerin consumer unit, fitted entirely with C type breakers and rcbo's.. ( many left over and soon to be installed in my flat.. :) )

the runs were small and the efli was very low

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back