Removal of unused brick septic tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appear to have a septic tank at the end of my kitchen under the floor. (The end of the kitchen used to be an outside toilet). There is one loose brick so I removed it to look inside and I can see that it has been filled in with rubble.

The top of the tank has been covered in concrete to bring it level with the floorboards. I am now replacing the floorboards so it would be useful to remove the tank.

How easy would it be to do this and how long would it take?

Thanks
M

Sponsored Links
might not be a septic tank..

there's one under the floor of my nan's old house and when I asked her about it she said it used to be for rainwater.
they used it for washing water.. it's aparently softer than the tap water so doesn't scale up the elements ets..

M.
The colonel could be right.
If it is the top of a well, it would have been outside of the old toilet.
If it had been a cesspool or septic tank serving the property before mains drainage was provided, then the old by-laws used to state that no cesspool or septic tank could be built with in 100 feet of the dwelling.
It could just be a void under the floor filled with rubbish. Unless you open it up further, it is very difficult to say.
old un.

The one at my moms house features a collecting tank and a settlement tank side by side. These tanks were also beneath the kitchen floor.

Outside the back door was a 25' well. This was a massive shock when we discovered it, i can tell you! I was stood atop of the covering plate bashing it with my sledgehammer when a small piece gave way and thudded to the well bottom a second later.

I gingerly moved off the capping masonry and proceeded to uncover a magnificent brick well. It is weird feeling when you decend into one of these.

As you can gather, it was dry.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back