Removal of unused BT Master Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been asked before, if it has my search missed the answer.

I used to run a small business from a room in my home and had three separate BT phone lines coming in. Two are no longer connected and as a result there are now two BT master sockets on the wall that are no longer used.

Am I supposed to pay BT to come and unwire them and remove the boxes?

I'm quite able to unwire them and make the pairs feeding them safe but am wondering what the official position is?

Sponsored Links
Official position would be they are the property of BT/Openreach so really hands off.

Who's to know if you do.

Do they link back to a junction box where the drop line enters the property?

Disconnect there and remove wiring after the junction box completely is what I'd be wanting done.

Sponsored Links
Bt openreach will do a cease and recover free of charge if you ask them ( or used to)

Thanks folks,

I'll take a look at how to remove the master sockets in a professional manner. If BT will remove them for free that'll be fine, I'll see if that service still exists.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back