Remove Buchan trap/interceptor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can i remove an interceptor/ buchan trap?

A friend of mine has a property he rents out and the trap is frequently blocking. I am putting in a couple of new gullies as part of some paving works but he has asked me if its possible to just remove the trap altogether and replace with a new manhole.

The WC is on the ground floor about 2 metres away from the trap. there is no current manhole just the rodding access for the trap.

The only other things discharging into the Combined system are 2 gullies. 1 rainwater and the other a kitchen sink and washing machine which simply discharges into a gully.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
So long as you are prepared to do some digging then go for it.

We always convert to plastic at the earliest possible stage. This would mean fitting a (fernco clay-plastic type) converter prior to installing say a 450mm plastic chamber bottom, then work back from there using the various inlets.

We have grubbed up and replaced two of these monstrosities in the past few years.

I second Noseall, those things are a PITA and surplus to requirements, the only reason they're left there is because it's so much work to remove them. The idea is well over 100 years old, unneccessary in the modern age and so many have the stoppers missing they dont actually serve the purpose they were designed for back then anyway.

(Their main use these days in keeping the Drain clearance companies in business! :LOL: )

Well after a day of breaking concrete and digging its ready to come out. No big change in inverts so no drama there.

I'll pop up a pip to let you see the bizarre arrangement. A WC branch that almost points upstream at the joint

The trap is connected to a short length of pipe that is 8'' in outside diameter which is not something i've seen before?

Was asking about a coupling at a few local merchants and they assumed it was from a small factory or similar.

Is this common over on the mainland? I'm guessing its 190mm or something Internal?

Sponsored Links
Not a size used over here to my knowledge, 100mm/4", 150mm/6", 225mm/9" have been the smaller standard sizes for donkeys years!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back