Remove impeller/fan blades from old Xpelair CF20wt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an xpelair CF20 fitted that is a good number of years old...it hasn't been used in a long time but still works ....

Looking to start using it again...and would really like to give it a good clean inside... full of dust and spiders webs....

Much easier to clean inside the casing if I took the impeller off ....it seems like you just wriggle the more modern ones off -
but this one has a gap in the blades to an access point to the spindle - looks like access for some kind of tool...it is difficult to see what is inside (can't get a decent light in there and seems to have compacted dust) - it looks like it could be an allen key - can't see a screw...

The motor seems (can only see side on) attached with 2 screws under the impeller -so I'm guessing they were both removable....

Has anyone come across these before?

Sponsored Links
Just in case anyone else needs to know this - it was a small allen key which undid a grub screw thing (at least that worked for me!)

Have now cleaned it up and looking to put it back together - the motor is on display - thinking of putting some oil (WD-40?) on the spindle - is there anything else I should/could do to keep it happy? :)

WD40 will not lubricate for long, you are better off using 'three in one' machine oil.

Wotan

If it has sintered brass bearings you may not get much more life out of the fan after using WD 40 as it can washe the oil out of the bearings.

(sintered brass bearings are like a hard sponge soaked in oil, when the oil dries out they fail )

Sponsored Links
Thanks - I will use a drop of three in one instead of WD40...
Always thought you can't really go wrong with WD40 so really helpful to know you can!

Mostly when a sintered bearing fails it needs replacing and a a new fan is often the best way. A failed bearing often scores the shaft and that scoring will continue wearing the bronze away. But if the unit has to be pressed back into service until a replaced can be obtianed then it may be ncessary to re-load the bearing with oil. This means removing the bearing and submerging it in hot oil and leaving it there until the oil has cooled. While hot most of the air is driven out of the spongey metal and as it cools the oil fills the sponge.

Hot oil is a dangerous fire risk so not really a DIY task and it only gives a short life.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back