remove old alarm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.
I have a Paragon E system, maybe 20-30 years old.
How do I remove it?
I have looked through the forum and done a search and can not find the topic about removing an old alarm, sure I saw it somewhere but cant find it now.
I will guess at
1. pull fuse out of fused spur
2. disconnect battery inside of alarm box
3. disconnect bell box, and cut wires from battery inside, (if there is a battery, its a big red box with no lights on, just a bell)
4. chuck it all away.
5. install nice new shiny texecom system. hard wired.
J.D.

Sponsored Links
1)yes

2) it cant be as old as you think (but who cares its coming out)

Hey Breezer,
It might be 10-15 years old then?
Any more input than just yes?
is my 1-4 ok to do.
How would you disconnect it ?
or would method B be better.
1. get up ladder and disconect bell box. would there be anti-tamper switchs on a over 10 year old red large bell box, kinda sticks off wall about 6 inches and is 14" by 6". disconect cable and battrey. could stick earplugs in?
2. remove fuse from spur.
3. open box and remove battery.
4. chuck it all away
Thanks for your help in advance...

since you are changing it, i assume you will be keeping old cables detectors? if so mark what each cable is for then chop the ends off where it connects

If ever i am changing a panel either put the standby batt on the bell cable, or let it ring

pull the FCU fuse out first

Sponsored Links
No. I wont keep old wires and I have only 1 Pir and 1 mat on the Paragon system.

I will pull in new wires, for 5 pirs, bell box and remote keypad.
but i need to rip out the paragon system first.
FCU = fing consumer/control unit?
so pull out fuse first so I dont get 240v up my arm when taking out bellbox first?

I would go for the outside bellbox first to minimise the ammount of time it is sounding for.

then once you have disabled that (e.g. ripped out the wires from the panel and the battery) disconnect mains and battery from the panel and then start ripping out everything else.

Do you think the bell will sound once I start to open the bell box?
and if i chop the wires that run from inside the house, will it blow my cutters open. will it have 240v going into it constantly?
Just dont want to get blown off the ladders when i get 240v down my arm :eek:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back