Remove Old Wall Heaters and Back Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 3 old wall heaters which I haven't used for years now. They were here before we moved to the house so they are well over 20 years old. I simply want them disconnecting and removing.

They still have a gas supply so I have asked a few guys to simply plug the gas pipe under the floor boards. I've had a range of quotes from £50-£250 ! Big difference !

What should I expect to pay to get these removed and plugged ? And is there anything else involved here?

I also have an old back boiler, (which packed in a few years ago and now use a combi). I want the back boiler removed and a gas heater put there instead. Again how much should I be paying for the work involved in doing that ?

I was toying with the option of a flueless heater where the back boiler is, but it's probably best to do the job properly now, and remove the back boiler and put a flu heater in place instead.

Sponsored Links
If you do not haveany carpets on the floor boards then I would envisage and fairly east job of no more than an hour to cap off the 3 gas fires under the floor boards. In this caes I would charge my minimum attendance of £60 + VAT plus a token amount of btween £5-£10 for any parts or materials.

The BBU would be slightly different. It should come out easily within an hour, but as you intend to use the fireplace and chimney for a gas fire , then the flue liner would have to be removed, necessitating a trip up onto the roof to withdraw it. Depending how easily this came out it could be an hour or so on its own, even so to remove this and the BBU with no making good to the fireplace would entail an approximate cost of around £100-£150.

Edit; Forgot to add, avoid a flueless gas fire like the plague :eek:

Fire with proper flue is far better and safer than flueless heater also you will get more heat from it.
The old back boiler was this a water only gas back boiler(as you have wall heaters) if so the opening should not need much alteration if any.
If its a central heating back boiler then the opening will be too big for a fire and will need bricking /plastered etc also the copex liner will need to come out . Which a lot of people don`t like to do as it means going on a roof :rolleyes: .
Capping off 3 heaters yeah 50 quid is reasonable .
£250 would be for the complete removal and bricking up etc i would imagine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back