remove or board over old slat ceiling

S

sentinal73

I have a 1930s house which im slowly renovating

I've stripped one room and noticed that the old slat ceiling has slighting dropped in places.

Should i remove the old slat ceiling and board with plasterboard, or just plasterboard over the old slats, screwing into the joists?

I plan to get the walls and ceiling skimmed afterwards by a pro

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I have a 1930s house which im slowly renovating

I've stripped one room and noticed that the old slat ceiling has slighting dropped in places.

Should i remove the old slat ceiling and board with plasterboard, or just plasterboard over the old slats, screwing into the joists?

I plan to get the walls and ceiling skimmed afterwards by a pro

Many thanks

Had to do this to my house recently.

I simply tore off the old slats (and horsehair plaster!) and fixed new plasterboard to the joists. Fairly straightforward if a little dusty and knackering on your arms. Make yourself a deadman prop!) Basically two pieces of wood shaped like a 'T'.

Drywall screws and a handdrill and you are away! :)

Then I skimmed it all myself. Good luck! :)

thanks!!

been chasing out a channel for a satellite cable and half the old plaster has come away, about a square meter, now i don't know whether to remove all the old plaster on the walls and get a pro in, or get a pro to repair and skim

old houses...........finding more and more problems :(

Sponsored Links
For the small loss in room height compared to the amount of clearing up, it may be easier to just over-board the existing ceiling (making sure you locate the joists to fix to and any services that may be up there 1st).

Depends if knowing the crap's up there will bug you or not!!

re the walls, I've found it simpler (and cheaper :oops: ) to pull off just the loose plaster back to brick, then get it patch repaired and skim the whole wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back