Remove thermostats after installing wireless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be installing wireless thermostats (Drayton Wiser) to my heating system within the next few days and want to know how I disable the 2 existing wired thermostats. I have attached a picture showing one of the thermostats, the grey wire isn't attached to anything. The second thermostat is exactly the same except it has an earth wire that also isn't connected to anything. I can trace both cables back to the wiring centre but would also like the option of disabling them first so I can put everything back if needed.

So what's the procedure for both:
1: disabling them until everything is working with the new programmer/thermostats etc
2: removing them at the wiring centre permanently

Attachments

• IMG_0277.jpeg
    IMG_0277.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0278.jpeg
    IMG_0278.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
There are several options:

If you want the option to revert back to the old thermostats at some point then, the easiest way would leave them in place and simply put both wires together in the L terminal. That takes the old thermostat out of operation.

Or:

Remove the existing thermostats and replace them with junction boxes. At each junction box connect the two switching wires from L and 2 together and isolate any other wires safely. Maybe the cables could be pulled up and the junction boxes could be located out of sight above the ceiling for example.

Or:

At the origin of the thermostat cable. Note where the wires brown and black wires from L and 2 are connected disconnect them and make sure they are out of the wiring centre so they don't touch anything they shouldn't. Then, link the terminals where the two wires have just been removed from together. Usually, as good practice old cables longer in use are removed. So, perhaps this option is not so good should you want to reinstate the old thermostats using the original wiring.

thank you very much for the detailed response.

I’m going to go with option 1 then I’ll fully remove them once I’ve got the new programmer and thermostats etc set up and working for a while.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back