Removed rad now air in system.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed rad to tile behind and then refitted.Bled rad went ok however
when running system Boiler pipes banged pilot light goes out.Have tried
bleeding all rads and still boilers the same.I noticed above boiler what
looks like bled valves at top of pipes.Tried opening these which produces
large lots of air.But boiler still noisy and pi/light going out after about 20 secs boiler running time.Going round in circles with this.[/img]

Sponsored Links
If you have a combi boiler then the system needs to be re-pressurised manualy when you re-fit a rad.

If not then either the F&E tank is empty or the cold feed is blocked.

Don,t think I have a F and E tank.System is in a flat and think its plumbed
up to mains supply.
Maybe blockage in feed.Would closing all but 1 rad then bleed system and
working from there work??

It sounds like you have a combi boiler. You will need to locate the filling loop and top the system up with water. The blockage would only occur with a F&E tank system (Small tank in roof space)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for quick reply.
Don,t think its a combi.I have a hot water tank in a cuboard and shut this
off to replace Toilet sink last week.Looking at system the cold water supply goes into pipe which feed ths pump.

Does boiler have a pressure guage on the front or under it, or is there one near your h/w cylinder? If so what does it read? You may have a system boiler. Check your pump is running correctly. You either have a massive air lock or there is no circulation.

If you have a seperate pump out of the boiler, try turning boiler stat off and let pump run to push any air through without boiler heating up!

Yes the pumps separate from the boiler and I do believe the pump can
run on its own.There is also a camper size gas cylinder on the floor below
the boiler which has a gauge on it.Does this pressurise the system.
Would running the system with pump only running,bleeding rads and openning what I think is a relief valve on top pipe at highest point of system(above boiler) clear the airlock which is most probable.
Will note pressure b4 and after running pump.

You've got me even more confused now (help Corgi!) Are you now saying it is an LPG boiler? although air problem doesn't make any difference. Run heating with boiler off and try to eliminate air locks.

Thanks Dave
Had another go at clearing system.No joy.Ran with pump only and
checked all rads and all were fine didn,t really have any air come out of them when bleeding.(1 HOURS TIME).
Small canister gauge was at zero and unsure what this really does.
Started up boiler hmmmm....The boiler starts up ok but after a few moments its like boiler goes quiet,then the pipes start banging ,boiler switches off and then pilot light goes out.
(Boiler is ideal elan 2 11 years old)
.British gas are coming out in the morning.

Thanks again for info

Sounds like a pressurised system with no water in it or at least it needs pressurising again. Guage should read just over 1 bar when rads are cold. Boiler is banging through no water in it and no circulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back