Removed stud wall and need to make ceiling and wall good

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my first time posting in here as just bought our first house.

The bedroom had a built in wardrobe with quite a narrow opening that we decided to widen so that we could install sliding doors. To do this I took out a non-load bearing section of stud wall that adjoined to a brick exterior wall. It came out fairly cleanly and I have got to the stage where I’ve got the last stud nailed to the wall that needs to be removed. There is going to be a roughly 11cm gap in the plaster going up the wall and a similar gap in the ceiling (see photo). We plan to install a 9cm wide strike plate/liner flat against the wall and a 5.5cm track for the sliding doors up against the ceiling.

Is there an easy way to fill in underneath the liner or the gaps around the liner so that it sits either in the plaster gap or raised just out of it?

Similarly, for the ceiling can I just fit a bit of timber in the gap, attach a plasterboard section to this timber and fill around the edges of the plasterboard? Or is there a better way of approaching this?

My thoughts are that is doesn’t have to be perfect as it will be half covered by the liner/rail anyway.

Thanks in advance
IMG_4723.png

Sponsored Links
I would build a frame to get everything square. It will be easier to fix the wardrobe framing pieces to it. Plaster or filler can be used for the gaps. The ceiling stud can be fixed to the underside of the joists if they run the right direction, or add in two or three noggins between joists to fix to.

If you do it your way, use plasterboard or plaster but make sure its robust enough to fix the steel wardrobe units.

Blup

Hi Blup, thanks for the help. Having had a closer look at the remaining stud that I was going to take out, I’m slightly concerned it might be structural as it has pretty chunky (and rusty) nails and is hammered in at lots of points to the brick wall. It is also attached to a horizontal piece of wood in the loft space. I’ve attached some photos.

Wondering if instead I should use this stud to attach the cupboard liners to. I could also use the part extending into the loft to fix the ceiling stud into. Alternatively, if it doesn’t look structural I could proceed with taking it out as will be easier to fix plasterboard in the ceiling gap?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You can use the existing stud, i doubt it is structural although it seems to be nailed to a noggin rather than a rafter.

Blup

Sponsored Links
It appears to be nailed to the wall plate, it could be acting as a strap to prevent the wall plate/roof lifting, if it was it could be replaced with a more normal metal strap which is considerably thinner.

My concern with replacing it would be that removing the nails could damage the brickwork behind. If I was to leave it in and put wardrobe panels around it to box it in, what would you recommend in order to fill in the gap between stud and wall, as well as the void between panel edge and wall? Or do I just leave these voids, install panel flush to wall and fill/caulk any gaps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back