Removel of Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a new bathroom installed, therefore wish to remove the old shower.

Do l have to call in an electrition to remove the old shower? I will get him to install the new one, which could be weeks yet.

I have traced the wire across the attic and into the junction box. I assume its just a case of killing the power and removing the wire from the box?

Also, l have noticed its wired into the same circuit breaker as the cooker - 35A. I know it needs to be wired to the fuse box but should it have its own breaker?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A shower needs to be on it's own circuit. Size of cable and protective device depends on kW rating of shower.

Leave it to the electrician. He should be qualified (part p) to do any work in a bathroom (which is classed as a special location).

Yeah l know the sparky has to be qualified.

But is it okay to pull the old wiring out?

Also, there seems to be a safety switch for the shower in the bathroom. Its on a pull cord. How far away from the wet zone does this have to be? The new shower will be installed in a different location, and will be now less than 75cm from this switch.

Sponsored Links
There's no regs ref removal of wiring. Best to isolate at the fuseboard and test its really off before you start..

There are regs re location of switches in bathrooms - even pull switches.
get your spark to advise you - it will depend on ceiling height.

I note that you are somewhere called "Fife". I dont think you have Part P there so you can ignore some of the above.!
Frankly I am surprised that you've been allowed electricity :LOL:

Hope the French havent scored... darn it, they have..........

Thanks TaylorTwoCities.

Need to mind look out for the Wales highlights, as soon as l can get this wind-up TV to work!!! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back