Removing 100 years of dirt from between the floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I can do anything about the gaps between my floorboards, I should probably at least try to give them a bit of a clean first. In fact, some of them are so filled up with dirt that I doubt I'd be able to fit any draughtproofing down there (and no, I do not consider a layer of dirt to be a solution to the problem).

There are lots of suggestions on how to fill the gap, but does anyone have any helpful tips for removing the dirt/snails/bits of underlay/old coins from between the gaps first.

Is it wishful thinking that there might be some sort of super-strong vacuum suction attachment or clever tool specially made for this purpose, to save me hours of poking about with an old screwdriver?

Sponsored Links
I like the 'bigbrute' vac, vacuming it has got to be the way to go. Either a cheap light industrial one and remove the bulk with a brush, or hire something.

Daniel

As you mentioned old coins here's something I've seen several times on heritage work. Debris such as yours is removed using trowels and vacuums and bagged and tagged as to the location. The bags are then opened up and the whole lot sieved by a young archiologist to see if there are any "goodies" lurking in the murk.

Sponsored Links
And was anything interesting ever found, ladylola? I love the idea, but doubt that our victorian terrace will throw up anything interesting.

Thanks for the suction suggestions. I might look at hiring something like that. Otherwise, maybe I can just use filler in the hope that at least when it cracks/shrinks it'll be held in place by the dirt ;)

To be fair the poor girl doing the dirty work sometimes had days of nothing but dirt punctuated by the dizzying heights of the odd small coin , pin or needle :eek:
Anything big was or is normally picked up when the floors are lifted as we usually have a little sift around ourselves :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back