Removing a 2 way switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In my living room I've got 2 ceiling lights, at the door into the room there is a double light switch which has one switch for each of the lights, at the other side of the room there is a single light switch which just controls one of the lights.

The single light switch has been left there from when there used to be another door out, but it looks daft there now so I want to get rid of it.

I cut the wires in the floor boards above the room and put them into a junction box, but now that light doesn't work.

There is 2 black wires, one red wire and 2 earth wires, originally I used a 4 terminal junction box and connected the two earths together and the other three I kept seperate, I also tried connecting the two blacks together.

I'm guessing from looking at how they work I need to connect one black to the red (either one) so that it remains in a switched position.

Just wanted to make sure rather than guessing with main electric!

Sponsored Links
IF on the switch you removed the red wire went to COM and the blacks went one each to L1 and L2 then you MAY be right in your guess that connecting the red to one of the blacks MAY make the light work on the other switch.

Remember ALL junction boxes MUST be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back