Removing a chimney, maintaining gas fire flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've searched the forum for some answers but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

My parents' house has two chimneys, one of which has large cracks etc in it and my father would like to demolish it. We have worked out what is required in terms of safe access to that level (scaffold, roofing ladders etc), but have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the chimney currently has 1 gas fire at the base of it - clearly this needs a flue, but what exactly? How is this sealed into the roof?

Secondly, we need to 'fill the gap', so we presume that this is relatively simple in terms of matching the different layers - wooden supports, felt, battons, tiles etc... is there anything we should know?

I'm sure some of you must have done a similar thing - can anyone offer any advice please?

Many thanks for a highly useful forum.

Sponsored Links
Mine has what looks like an asbestos-cement pipe that comes out of the flue-blocks in the wall, inside the loft, follows the slope of the roof, and goes out through a sort of ridge tile. i imagine you have to know how to make it all gas-tight, though.

You don't need to demolish all the chimney inside the roof space, so you should be able to terminate into the stump.

JohnD said:
Mine has what looks like an asbestos-cement pipe that comes out of the flue-blocks in the wall, inside the loft, follows the slope of the roof, and goes out through a sort of ridge tile. i imagine you have to know how to make it all gas-tight, though.

You don't need to demolish all the chimney inside the roof space, so you should be able to terminate into the stump.

Your type of flue are the ones we replace with the twinwall.
The joints crack and i was getting fed up of spending an hour in each roof space with fire cement fixing the joints.

Sponsored Links
bobthebender said:
Your type of flue are the ones we replace with the twinwall.

:( and I was thinking of getting a new gas fire when funds permit. Hundreds of pounds, is it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back