Removing a double glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am changing two small windows that dont have any openings to two which i can open. The windows are externaly glazed when i asked the fitter about the security issues with externally glazed. He said you need a special tool to take something out from the bottom of the unit so i could take the glass out. He said without this tool i would have to smash the glass but i need the glass. Is this true and if so where can i get one of these tool
Kind regads Craig

Sponsored Links
I don't know if it's me but I'm a little confused here with the question of what you want to do

When the fitter installed the windows he said i would need a special tool to take the glazing out. The tool slots into the bottom of the glass and releases a block i think the block was metal but might be wrong. I need to take the glass out so i need to find a tool.

Sponsored Links
I've never heard of it either. They used to use a sticky two sided foam gasket then made them internal beaded. If a householder can take the glass out with a little tool - then so can a crim. :rolleyes:

Many moons ago I both manufactured and fitted double glazed windows; when the norm was outside glazing, i.e. the glass was installed from the outside, then the beading was clipped into place and finally a rubber piping gasket was pressed between the glass & plastic frame on the inside. Once this said gasket was firmly in place it is very, very difficult to remove the beading on the outside - though I've seen it done by an expert - but remain silent on the method as one never knows who reads these posts. Mat G

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back