Removing a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My girlfriend and I got our keys to our first house today.

So far We've removed some boarding on the walls and I've removed the hearth and fireplace

We're now left with this

Photo%25252001-07-2011%25252012%25252007%25252048.jpeg

Anyone any tips or do I just take the side outs? Will they be supporting anything? They are quite big - could they be holding up the rest of the wall? I'm tempted to put some wood in between the fireplace take out the side and brick it up would this be acceptable? Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks folks!

p.s the rubble is now cleared tidy workplace and all that!!

Sponsored Links
I am not a builder but this will be supporting the whole chimney breast and you cannot just take the sides out ....mine had been removed before I moved in but there is steel supports taking the weight of the rest of it.......give it a couple of days before you do anything and some of the pro guys that come on here will give you better info

I'm tempted to put some wood in between the fireplace take out the side and brick it up would this be acceptable?
What exactly are you intending to do?
If you are bricking the old fireplace up, why would you remove any of it first?
Don't understand why you want to put a piece of wood in there either?

If you were thinking of removing the two brick columns either side of the opening, DO NOT. The whole lot will collapse into the room and kill you (probably including the rest of the chimney in the room above, and on the roof).

If you just want to tidy that up so the room can be redecorated, then:
get a piece of 100mm thick insulation board (celotex or similar)
cut it to size and fit tightly into the opening
Cut a 50mm round hole through the insulation near the top, and push a short piece (100mm) of plastic waste pipe in the hole
fix a sheet of foil backed plasterboard over the whole face of the chimney breast, cutting a 50mm round hole in the board where the pipe is.
fix a small ventilation grille over the hole.

Remove the fireback, brick up the opening leaving a space in the brick for ventilation, plaster the chimney breast, fit vent and cap chimney with vented cap if not already done.

Thats it!! if i understand your question. :unsure:

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys my question wasn't exactly worded the best but you guys got the answer spot on!! thanks again

have the flue swept - sweep all your existing flues and vent them top and bottom as directed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back