Removing a shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am trying to remove a shower enclosure to reseal it. It has two uprights that are slid into two posts that are then secured by screws on the side into the wall. I have removed all of the screws that I can see and a lot of the sealant but it is still not budging- it feels like it is still secured somewhere. I hope the installer hasn’t glued and screwed to the wall. Thanks for any help

Attachments

• A80802EC-0B1A-4D0E-9D64-E43B895249CB.jpeg
    A80802EC-0B1A-4D0E-9D64-E43B895249CB.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 58
  • C4327C45-2CCA-458F-AAB2-BF5A25763698.jpeg
    C4327C45-2CCA-458F-AAB2-BF5A25763698.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
If you have removed the screw's that hold the wall channels to the wall ,the only thing that will keep the enclosure and wall channels in place is silicone . Around the periphery ,and possibly between the wall and wall channels.

Thanks very much. Maybe (hopefully) I have just underestimated the power of the silicone along the bottom edge to hold it in place. If it was just the silicone along the bottom would you have expected some movement of the top two thirds of the wall channel? I suspect I mind end up resealing with the frame in-situ but can’t do anything else as I am beyond the point of return now.

I would expect the top of the wall channels to move if the only remaining silicone Was around the tray level,and none vertically

Sponsored Links
Thanks- that’s what I think as well and am worried that the wall channel has been glued as well as screwed in place but I think it would be difficult to do this

Difficult to do what ?
Are you re sealing because there is a leak ?

Yes - there is a leak and the sealant is old and deteriorating. My reference to difficult was the original installation- glueing and screwing the wall channel which makes me hope that hasn’t been done

You would usually only seal the external edges, vertically and around the periphery of tray and walls. And wouldn't need to remove the frame ,unless there was an issue behind the wall profiles Where they meet the tray ,failed or missing silicone resulting in no seal between tray rim and wall

I am resealing around the tray as well. House was new build and shower enclosure leaked - builders answer was to seal every area - inside and out which worked for a few years but now needs re doing so I thought I would try and do a proper job and start from the beginning again, hence removing the frame. I managed to get a craft knife between the wall channel and tiles - there is silicone or glue holding it in place which I have managed to start cutting through and there is a lot more movement. I was hoping to have the frame off by the end of this weekend but is going to take longer than I thought. Will definitely only reseal on the outside as per convention and manufacturer guidance!

Sealing inside and out is a disaster - it allows for a head of water to build up which then over time forces it's way out through the weakest point of the seal. I mistakenly did this to a shower enclosure and we had no end of problems with leaks. Never managed to get it resolved and now I'm refitting the entire bathroom as the shower tray also had a hairline crack that leaked through to the wooden floor underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back