Removing a very old radiator upstairs to decorate

After measuring the outside diameter of these copper pipe works, they are actually just 10mm :(

some sealant

What type of sealant do you use for this kind of work? Please state item no so that I know what exactly it is.

Sponsored Links
Any of the proprietary sealants will be fine, LSX, Jet Blue and so on.
The secret with 10mm stuff is to cut the pipe very carefully and squarely......if its slightly out of round then the olive or nut won't go on. To sort that, gentle squeezing with the round gripper on a pair of pliers will work fine - once the nut or olive slides on, that's what you need......the compression fitting will sort the rest.
If you are going to use a pipe cutter, go slowly and carefully......if the cutter won't go in, then its maybe a job for a junior hacksaw and new blade, cutting carefully and slowly. 10mm stuff is easy to bend or crimp!
John :)

Support the pipe from the back so it can't waggle about and it'll take about 15 sec......dress the edge with a file to accept the nut etc.
If you want, pop a timber sliver between the pipe and the skirting which will help to hold it.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Why fit a larger radiator? The room looks quite small. If the existing radiator doesn't get very warm neither will the replacement. Microbore pipework is a knightmare for the novice. It can actually leak if you overtightened the fittings!!
I recently put a new heating system in and changed all the radiators on a microbore system soldered most of it but some of it had to be compression joints because of water.
I personally prefer to use 15mm valves with 15mm x 8/10mm EF fittings soldered onto end of pipe. Avoids the valves leaking.

Microbore pipework
I now realise that these 10mm copper pipes dont come in a straight form - only in coil :( so it is harder to straighten them.

The room is actually 2.5m x 2.8m and I am planning to remove it for decorating then put it back together after 3 coats of anti-mould magnolia paint.

I have read that old radiators are not as energy-efficient as the Kudox Premium Type 22 Double Panel Double Convector Radiator (Screwfix) so planning to replace it but not altering any pipeworks.

Bought 10mm TRV and lockshield set, 2 x 10mm copper pipes (1m in length) and came in straight form, not coiled
Bought the EF fittings as well.
Just sold the IKEA bed so now I have enough room to dismantle the old radiator.
The only thing I need to buy is the radiator itself....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back