Removing an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother lives in a retirement flat built in about 1980, meaning that the original telephone point was put in the hallway. Since then, two extensions have been wired to this point without a master socket.

One side goes to a bedroom to a socket with suppressors in it. Two wires are used. This extension is not needed.

The other side goes to the lounge which is used for the adsl and alarm (separated with a filter). The output from the alarm goes to two handsets.

It would be nice to take away the bedroom socket for aesthetic reasons. But I don't know the significance of the suppressors. (Did someone put this in because there is no master?) Can I just cut back the two wires from the junction to disconnect it entirely or should I put the socket back somewhere out of the way?

Secondly, the adsl sometimes loses connection. If the isp were to be alerted and BT came to test the service side, what would they make of the lack of master socket?

Sponsored Links
My mother lives in a retirement flat built in about 1980, meaning that the original telephone point was put in the hallway. Since then, two extensions have been wired to this point without a master socket.

One side goes to a bedroom to a socket with suppressors in it. Two wires are used. This extension is not needed.

The other side goes to the lounge which is used for the adsl and alarm (separated with a filter). The output from the alarm goes to two handsets.

It would be nice to take away the bedroom socket for aesthetic reasons. But I don't know the significance of the suppressors. (Did someone put this in because there is no master?) Can I just cut back the two wires from the junction to disconnect it entirely or should I put the socket back somewhere out of the way?

Secondly, the adsl sometimes loses connection. If the isp were to be alerted and BT came to test the service side, what would they make of the lack of master socket?

Yes , cut it away from the junction box the remove all the wiring/scoket ...is it the oval type box and if yes open it up and disconnect the wires rather than just cutting them, as you say it has a capacitor not a suppressor but this will not affect your other extension and will probably boost your adsl signal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back