Removing and balancing sealed system radiators without LRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
(a) I have a sealed system-under Worcester 24CDi combi boiler.
(b) Only one radiator - the one downstairs by the door - has a LRV. The kitchen rad (which is close to the boiler) has two wheelhead valves, so is the small one in the bathroom. Four (three bedrooms and reception) has a wheelhead on one side, and a Dyfoss TRV on the other. I need to remove one radiator at a time to decorate. Question:
(1) Do I have to drain the system before I remove a rad?
(2) How do I balance them without the LRV?
(3) What are the possible mishaps that I may have to face?

Sponsored Links
Thanks kevplumb. I had to go to Swansea yesterday. I am just about to remove one of the rads. I have just read an article about refitting a rad and the author says that when refitting a rad the return valve must be left closed until the rad is full. He concludes:
"Having left the return valve closed until the radiator is full, you will have prevented air from being pushed round into the rest of the system."
My question is: How do I identify the return valve since I do not have the lockshield valves?

Thanks

simbar

Sponsored Links
my guess is ur going to struggle now.

when the system is up and running its the pipe that warms up last.

i would not worry about such thing. open both valves and bleed.

then bleed other just incase. pressurise system to recommended pressure. normally about 1.1 bar. (cold)

turn on system for 5-10 mins and bleed rads again as further air in the system might now have got to the high points (ie top of rads). check pressure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back