Removing bitumen floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an 1896 house that has had a bitumen floor laid to a thickness of over an inch in the hallway. It looks like it may be laid over the original tiled hallway floor presumably to combat an historic damp problem. The problem is it forms an unsightly step into the dining room and since we want to have a tiled floor in the hall going over the top will make things worse.

Therefore I think it best to take the floor up but in such a way that I can save the tiled floor beneath it. Any tips on how best to get the bitumen up? Will heat help? I have read about using dry ice?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
I have an 1896 house that has had a bitumen floor laid to a thickness of over an inch in the hallway. It looks like it may be laid over the original tiled hallway floor presumably to combat an historic damp problem. The problem is it forms an unsightly step into the dining room and since we want to have a tiled floor in the hall going over the top will make things worse.

Therefore I think it best to take the floor up but in such a way that I can save the tiled floor beneath it. Any tips on how best to get the bitumen up? Will heat help? I have read about using dry ice?

Any tips appreciated

D

OK - I`ll bite

....................How do you know...........

1/ its bitumen (rather than asphalt)
2/ that it is over an inch thick
3/ that it is tiled underneath
4/ that it was laid to combat damp (what tests have been done)

In addition .................

1/ how long have you owned the house
2/ when was it built

etc etc

photos???????????

Edit - ignore last Q - its 1896

Any tips appreciated

D

OK - I`ll bite

2/ when was it built

etc etc

photos???????????

It could well be asphalt.

I can see how thick it is at the edge where it meets 2 doorways.

I can see the tiles underneath where it meets one of the doorways. The previous owner thought this was the case but couldnt be absolutely sure.

I said presumably to combat damp, not sure why else someone would have bothered.

Owned the house all of 1 week!!

D

Any tips appreciated

D

OK - I`ll bite

2/ when was it built

etc etc

photos???????????

It could well be asphalt.

I can see how thick it is at the edge where it meets 2 doorways.

I can see the tiles underneath where it meets one of the doorways. The previous owner thought this was the case but couldnt be absolutely sure.

I said presumably to combat damp, not sure why else someone would have bothered.

Owned the house all of 1 week!!

D

Before you even consider removing it you need to know what it is and why it was put there.............

As you have only just moved in perhaps you could ask the previous owner, either via your solicitor (which may cost you money) or a very polite enquiry to the estate agent you bought it off

However it does sound a little odd that the tiles remain underneath this material! - it may be that these tiles were laid straight on the soil which was common in the 1800`s - if so the leave it alone!!!!!!!!!

Failing an answer from the previous owner, it then gets tricky as you will need to find someone who knows what they are doing rather than someone who says they know what they are doing _ once you find this "messiah" he/she will have the knowledge and equipment to tell you all you desire.

Edit - just to appreciate my "poetry" :oops:

Sponsored Links
The daughter of the previous owner is easily contactable as we have her mobile number. I can ask but not sure how much she will know. Unfortunately her dad died earlier this year and I guess he would have known.

May be easier to raise the dining room floor!!

Thanks

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back