Removing brick fire surround

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently doing up our lounge and need to remove a brick fire surround before the plasterer comes tomorrow. Is there any special technique we should be following or is it just a sledgehammer job?

It sits in front of the brick chimney, but none of the bricks are interlocked with those of the chimney; the structure is just built in front, attached by some mortar.

Is there a better tool for the job, i.e. something I could hire to make short-shrift of it, or am I better taking longer with the sledgehammer route above?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :D

Sponsored Links
I used a sledgehammer and bolster, but the SDS+ drill with chisel bit I got my hands on later would have made much lighter work of it :)

Thanks for the reply, thought there would be a quicker "powered" way. I'll have to chip over to our local HSS and see what wonders they've got that I can hire :eek:)

Sponsored Links
hey phil, dont bother, unlies it has ties of some sort plastered in it'll come off in a jiffy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back