removing burglar alarm?? plus fitting a new one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new house .Every wire has been cut tv/ sky / telephones and Burglar alarms ! ( great eh?)I got an engineer out as we did not know the pin for the alarm and would need it reset he said all the sensors were cut so basically would not be worth to join them up etc.We obviously need a new alarm , However we still have to remove the old burglar alarm.The box is in the passage but the wiring must be located under the floorboards????What do we do?? i dont want all floorboards lifted etc .The company who initially installed alarm is no longer there .We bought the house but it was rented for years hence the wiring mess.Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
what is your question? sorry i do not follow, why not get quotes for new alarm?

However we still have to remove the old burglar alarm.The box is in the passage but the wiring must be located under the floorboards????What do we do??
How to remove the old alarm i have no pin code so obviously it will go of and no way of stopping it and the main wiring must be somewhere and i dont want live wires left everywhere.As stated sensors cut but wires are going all over any advice on how to remove this alarm , locate wiring etc

don't worry about getting rid of the old alarm wiring you may even be able to use some of it to pull new cables through

make sure you disconnect the mains supply from the alarm panel and make it safe (if there is a fcu just disconnect at the fcu otherwise disconnect at souce if neither of those is feasible put the wires in a junction box)

also if i were you i'd make sure have sufficiant tools to shut up anything that has an internal battery rapidly.

Sponsored Links
pixiesue said:
Just bought a new house .Every wire has been cut tv/ sky / telephones and Burglar alarms ! ( great eh?)I got an engineer out
Get your solicitor out too - the previous occupants should not have done that - you can go after them for the costs of getting it sorted.

if it was done before he viewed the house and he saw it then i can't see how he would have any comeback

from his post it sounds more like it was done by a former tennant than the seller.

i agree with plugwash.

back to the point in hand,
pixiesue said:
he said all the sensors were cut

so that means the alarm is useless. so why not just take the cables out? its unlikeley they are under the floorboards (possible, but unlikley) , remove external siren first, then down power system.

There is nothing i can do regarding wires cut etc.The house was rented out for about 3 years i suspect when the renters were askt to leave as the house was being sold then these things were done.
Regarding the alarm will it go off if removed? we as i said before dont have the pin code also will it live live wires any where as obviously its wired to some where to work the box it self seems dead and 3 sensors all cut one sensory sorry has not been cut there is a red light the door alarm has also been cut im worried in case there are live wires.

pixiesue. your main concern of live wires being everywhere is unfounded. All the alarm cables (white multicore) are at 12v only and will do you non harm if touched. In fact, when the previous occupants cut the cables they would probably have blown the fuse in the panel that supplies the sensors anyway.

There will still be mains present at the alarm panel - this is the only place where you need to take care and involve an electrician to make it safe.

HTH

plugwash said:
if it was done before he viewed the house and he saw it then i can't see how he would have any comeback.
If it was done after the survey then I think she has a case.

It doesn't matter who did it, and maybe the owner has a case against the former tenants, but whoever sold the house will have made statements about fixtures and fittings, and then for the house to end up with damage to those is possibly a breach of contract.

Would have thought it worth a phone call to the solicitor, if not already done.

pixiesue said:
There is nothing i can do regarding wires cut etc.The house was rented out for about 3 years i suspect when the renters were askt to leave as the house was being sold then these things were done.
Regarding the alarm will it go off if removed? we as i said before dont have the pin code also will it live live wires any where as obviously its wired to some where to work the box it self seems dead and 3 sensors all cut one sensory sorry has not been cut there is a red light the door alarm has also been cut im worried in case there are live wires.

I did mention about live wires in previous post.Our other alarm was the same as this one a Veritas.The main wiring was under the hall stairs .The point im trying to say is that i can take the box off at th efront door but there must me a main system somewhere - which we dont know where , my husband has a feeling they have put it under the bath - of all places !!I dont want to just cut wires and leave . [/b]

i would be very surprised if the main panel is under the bath. its usyually in a cupboard which can be anywher, often under stairs, why nort see where most alarm cables ar running to (those you can see)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back