Removing capped gas fire

Have you carried out a soundness check at any point after removing the pipework...If not...you are placing your life at risk..The analogy of replacing a light bulb is v v inaccurate.I would compare it more to servicing your car brakes when you do not have a clue,then riding around with your family in it..If you have half a brain cell of course you know it's dodgy messing with gas if you are not compayent.even in your own home.And the mere fact you come on here seeking advice proves you have not a clue.I have no axe to grind.Only 30 years of experience with gas.

I have not removed any pipework. It was removed by a gas engineer.
I didn't actually use an analogy, I used an example.

The whole point of my question was to determine whether removing a disconnected fire is "messing with gas" or just removing an inert object. And it was JUST a question. I have enough of a clue to know that "messing" with gas is dangerous and how combustion works. I am curious how this would still be possible having removed fuel from the equation. Residual gas in the (leaky, vented) pipe?

Your 30 years experience does not give you the right to treat me like an idiot, but it should give you the ability to help me, and others, to better understand our queries. If you are unwilling to do that in a mature and patient manner then I do not see any point or benefit to you contributing to these fora.

Sponsored Links
you are an idiot if you removed any gas pipe regardless of its history and did not carry out a soundness check..the light bulb example is an analogy too..Check definition of analogy.

definition of Analogy.Comparison between one thing and another, typically for the purpose of explanation or clarification.
"an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies"
a correspondence or partial similarity.
"the syndrome is called deep dysgraphia because of its analogy to deep dyslexia"
a thing which is comparable to something else in significant respects.
"works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature"

you are an idiot if you removed any gas pipe regardless of its history and did not carry out a soundness check..the light bulb example is an analogy too..Check definition of analogy.
Something says you totally missed what's going on in this thread. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Please explain how as a gas safe registered engineer, how you would carry out a soundness check as you call it on a length of pipe that has nothing connected at either end ?

Durham. Read the first post properly. If you already have, then pull your head out of your @RSE.

This place is getting worse

Again. I did not remove any gas pipes. This was done by a professional.

I am well aware of the definition of analogy. At no point did I compare removing a gas fire to changing a light bulb. I gave it as an example of something I would not hire someone to do. There is a difference. Just like there is a difference between truly understanding a word and simply being able to copy and paste a definition from Google.

Good job with the offensive language. You're really helping to get your point across and prove me wrong. This thread is like a football game and you are the player who can't stop scoring own goals. Oh look. An analogy.

'Soundness check'???..:)...or possibly a 'tightness test'????..Used to be referred to as a 'soundness test'...
Unless the pipework can be visually inspected along its length or removed then all ends must be sealed with an appropriate fitting.
It ain't rocket science.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back