removing gas fire making safe the gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove a gas fire from a a room. The gas fuel pipe comes out of the floor then right angles to the fire. I want to cut the pipe so it will be under the floor board. What do I cap it with and how do I cap it to make it safe?

Sponsored Links
If it's still on a live gas supply, Don't.

There is the possibility it would be illegal for you to do it though this seems to be a grey area.

Get a professional to do it then if it goes wrong you can make an insurance claim. If you do it and it goes wrong, the insurance company will want an explanation.

Agreed,even better to have it removed completely back to the gas meter,I just feel why have it there if you're not going to use it anymore.Don't know what the others think?

As it's under the floor you cant use a compression fitting, it will have to be soldered. Best get gas fitter to do it so that it can be done properly. Also best to remove it completely if you're not going to use it again in the future

Sponsored Links
NONONONO

No question this IS a CORGI job not under any circumstances a DIY one

as you are breaking into the gas supply there is a distinct danger that you will comprimise the gas supply's integrity

its a little job for a corgi chap so get one in to do it PLEASE

corgi job absolutely.....you will need to solder an end cap onto the cut pipe with the meter safely removed for a start then do lots of checks when you put it back on etc, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back