removing cold water tank?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My home has a combi boiler, and still has a cold water tank installed in the loft, which supplies the toilet flush and cold taps on bath and washbasin.
I want to take the tank out, partly because it makes a dripping noise for ages after flushing the toilet or running a tap, and also to make the cold tap water in the bathroom drinkable. The extra space in the loft might be useful too.

I am planning to remove the tank, and join the 15mm cold water intake pipe to the 22mm outflow pipe, using a Wickes 3 way speedfit joint [2x22mm, 1 x 15mm] with a 22mm cap, a 15mm stick, bent to a 'u' shape, and speedfit clips.

Any advice or warnings gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You mean not being able to flush the toilet or boil a cuppa when the water main bursts and the water is cut off? ;)
I guess I like living dangerously

:LOL:

i'm not understanding why you'd use a reducing tee and block off one of the exits when you could just use a reducing coupler?

Wickes may not stock them but a good plumbers merchant will. Wickes speedfit is just JG speedfit in a different packet.

It was all I could find that would do the job!
Thanks a lot for the info mate.
I'll look for a JG reducing coupler then instead.

So I am right in thinking that this is not the normal setup?

I bought the house from an elderly gentleman called Mr Perfect. He had been very keen on doing hoem improvements with his son - rewiring, double glazing etc - and should have been called Mr Bodgit. I'm guessing he had a hand in the central heating and boiler installation, and decided to save a few pennies by leaving it in place.
I only discovered all these things after buying the house of course :rolleyes:
- homebuyers survey mentioned nothing. I've already had to have most of the house rewired, and the seals have gone on half the double glazing. :mad:

Very unusual, very stupid, and a good reason why professionals should do these jobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back