removing emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry if this is silly question. I need to remove the old paint from my bathroom walls, before i tile it completely. What is the best way of removing it. Do i just need to stand there and scrap it all off with my paint scrapper? It is all I have been doing but seems to take an age. Is there a secret product i don’t know off that would make removal easier? I was hoping to start tile the weekend but now wonder if ill get this paint of.

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It is quite patchy, some ares fall away some are a little more stubborn. I removed a whole shower area of tiles and all the paint came away with the tiles.

Dosnt matter if the paint is patchy, as long as its not flaky

Sponsored Links
sorry when i said patchy i meant patches/areas that are quite flaky and come of easy. The other areas will scrap off with a bit of persuasion. Just want to make this process easier

Try soaking it a few times with really hot water on it..boiling, with a drop of washing up liquid in it.

But make sure you wear gloves and cover up well

Are you worried about tile addehsion to the old paint ? just fetch off all the loose paint then a coat of pva allow to dry overnight then second coat of pva and start tileing when it feels tacky. ( be warned they will stick like s... and removal at a later date will probably involve replastering)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back