Removing fireplace, what about the rest

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this has been covered, couldn't see it in search results

Anyway, i've got rid of the surround and as much of the internal masonry as I need out (to give space for couple of studs, insulation and pb).

There's a lot of fairly stable but rubbish masonry still at the bottom of the flue. Am i best off pulling it out or leaving it alone? (Yes the flue is capped/vented at the top already, there'll be a vent in the plasterboard).

If i can't get pics on now i'll add them later when i get home.

TIA
IMAG1437.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have the flue swept and smoke tested.
Leave well alone at the back of the opening unless you intend to recover the hearth (slate?) then you might have to free the hearth at the back or cut it free in line with the chimney breast face. Unless its in two pieces?
You might consider the soil in-fill for the front hearth, and any fender wall timber plate or joists that could be in earth contact without the benefit of DPC's?

Cheers vinn, probably should have mentioned its a first floor bedroom. I'm going to leave the hearth alone-it may be slate but if it is it has been bonded to concrete or something similar- it sits flush and is doing no harm.
I'll get onto a sweep in the morning-actually no i won't, away this weekend- and warn him to bring the big hoover ( took about 6 tubs of soot, fire cement, bricks and snots from my rebuild of the top of the chimney out of the throat :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back