Removing flaking paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Started making some progress on house decorating and started ripping off wallpaper at the weekend. Now the wallpaper rips off nice and easily however its taking most of the paint below it, with it too leaving me with bare plaster and flaky sections of paint all over the place, some of it scrapes off ok but if I carry on I’m going to leave the plaster in a right mess and its also going to take forever! Whats the best way of doing this? I’ve done some research and there seems to various opinions of carful scraping, replaster over the lot, sand it off, paint stripper etc. I’m leaning towards using a plaster skim like this:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/ready-mix-plaster-skim/invt/600243/

The house is probably a 60’s place whatever that’s means re the paint. It looks like this at the moment:
8a2da279.jpg

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
The thing is you can take all the time in the world removing this paint and when it comes to painting you will see dips, bumps, shadows etc.. in your paint work, which is soul destroying when you have laboured to remove it.
The best solutions is to, remove all flaky paint, give the wall a sand down, remove all dust, grease, dirt etc, then over skim the walls.
They need to be prep, two coats of a good quality PVA diluted 4 water to 1 PVA. First coat is left to set, second coat is left to go tacky. Then you set about with a two coat plaster. You have a large enough area to use multi-finish not ready mix. A 25kg bag will cover about 6.5sq metres doing two coats.
If you look hear I have described how to go about this tasks.
//www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/rough-plaster-wall.309949/

Firstly remove any loose debris from wall, including wall paper, clean dirt, grease and residue from area and repair any damages, such as cracks and holes.
Then you need to prep area with a two coat prime of a good quality PVA (dilute 4 parts water to 1 part PVA). Leave first coat to dry, then apply second coat allow to go tacky.
Then you need to apply two coats of multi-finish, mixed at a ratio of 25kg to one bucket of water (12l) this will cover an area of 10sq metres.
You can apply this in any technique you like, but I start from top left hand corner, working top left to right, then down, left to right and so on. Laying the plaster at a depth of around 2mm, using a three stroke action, moving the trowel right-left-right. This will help you get a good even bond to wall.
Once this has been applied to wall, you then set about flatten the surface of plaster, filling in any low points, don't be too concerned with trowel lines at this time.
Then clean your tools and prepare for second application, this mix wants to be a little wetter than the first coat and this time the depth of plaster you are laying on, will be about 1mm, so you only need half the amount of the first coat.
Lay this on as you did with first coat but only 1mm depth and one stroke with the trowel, rather than three.
Leave to take and flatten off, again trying to fill any low points. Leave a while (tools cleaned and cup-pa tea) Then once stiffened up, you can do a wet trowel, I use a mist sprayer but you can use a brush to splash the water on. Generally you would hold the trowel at somewhere between 30-45 degrees to wall, when laying on and troweling up.
You can once the wall has started to set, do a dry trowel which will move the plaster a little and polish the surface up, but I would not bother if you are painting or tiling the wall, in fact if you were tiling I would just be happy with a flat even surface, not necessaries smooth.
Hope this helps!
If you need any more info do not hesitate to reply!

Apologies for bringing up an old thread - I have a similar wall... but instead of painting, I will be wallpapering... how should I best prepare the wall?

Sponsored Links
I guess it largely depends how textured your wallpaper is and how smooth it needs to look. Cost/time/effort/result....

Slapping woodchip over the lot is quick easy. If you want thin paper to look super smooth you would end up skimming it.

Not a wallpaper fan so cant really comment further.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back