Removing Glue from Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've finally got around to decorating my spare bedroom and not before time, the previous owners had painted the whole room blue, blue walls blue roof, blue carpet, it is horrible.

They also added a blue patterened border around the whole room, how nice :) Today I tried to remove that very border, had tried a bit before to see how easy it came away but it wasn't working too well, today I tried the wallpaper steamer/stripper, worked great on the wallpaper this is coming away nicely, cant for the life of me get it to remove the glue they have stuck it to the wall with. I'm no glue expert but it looks like its PVA glue, if I put the steamer over an area for long enough I can get the glue moving, it goes a bit slimy, the only problem with this is its also removing the paint from the wall it pulls off like a big skin leaving the bare plasterboard, I think they have used bathroom paint in the room (before painting the room all blue they had painted it all bright pink again same type of paint).

Short of steaming the whole room and removing all the paint aswell does anybody know how to remove this glue? Ive attached a picture so you can see what i'm on about. View media item 8168

Sponsored Links
It's Border/ repair adhesive.. used mainly for putting borders over vinyl paper. Unfortunately a lot of people think that border paste should be used even when applying to non vinyl surfaces. Afraid I don't know of any magic cure.. Nether do solvite last time I asked :rolleyes: I usually end up using my old 1/12" wood chisel well sharpend and take all morning gently shaving it off. cursing the client for not letting me line/ paint ...

for future reference... if anyone is putting border paper onto emusion DONT USE BORDER PASTE. :evil:

good luck ;)

:D

Was in B&Q last night and found this stuff, Extra Strong Solvite Active Wallpaper Stripper, it comes in a spray gun and goes on the wall yellow.

I scored the border and applied this stripper, and took a scrapper to it, the border came off the wall leaving the glue still on the wall, I then let this dry out and sprayed the glue with the stripper, left it for a couple of minutes to work through and it came away with a little work from a good scraper. I then sanded down with a medium sand paper and everything looks good.

Still takes a lot of work to do though but at least it's not destroying the walls in the process. Back to spraying and scraping :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back