Removing handles from aluminium door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace the handles on my aluminium back door as they are worn and tatty.
I have removed the cover plate which is made by UNION and removed the lock but cannot see how the handles are secured, please see pictures.
Thanks for any replies.

2012-06-13-517.jpg

2012-06-13-518.jpg

2012-06-13-519.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think this one should be a cover plate that is friction fitted. If you try prizing the aluminium plate away from the door it should reveal the steel frame beneath screwed to the door. The cover will slide off over the handle.

Just flick the handle cover plate off, its held on with black plastic lugs which you can see at the top and bottom, its these that are screwed into the door which in turn hold the handle on, before you prize the handle off make sure theres no hidden grub screws on the lever handle, i would imagine there is so when pulling on the handle it transfers the force onto the spindle instead otherwise you'd pull the handle off its black lugs all the time

Sponsored Links
Might be too late, but when i changed mine, Like Crank says above there was a grub screw on the base of the indoor lever. undid that, and the handle slides off the square bar that goes through to the outside handle. with them off the plates of the handles can be taken off the door

hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back