Removing Hearth extention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of removing an old gas fire place from our first floor maisonette. I have removed the fire itself after having it disconnected by a corgi engineer and revealed what looks to be an original fireplace, however, I am left with a horrid large concrete slab in the middle of the floor in front of the fire place which is raised a couple of inches off of the floor. it appears to be fixed with concrete to the concrete floor.

What is the best method for removing this bearing in mind we are on the first floor?

Sponsored Links
tile it and make it a feature! removing it no matter how you do it will be very dusty etc.

Maybe not a problem if your rennovating.

Keeping it is not really an option with her! Not bothered about mess as already taken the room to pieces! I guess a large hammer and chisel is the order of the day.

Sponsored Links
If you can see any sort of join between the raised hearth and the constructiuonal hearth then go nuts with a large hammer and chisels or drill/ demo hammer. The join may be marginally below your floorbord level.

If you have the tools, 9" grinder with diamond blade etc you'd be better cutting/ partially cutting it out. That would also help keep the plaster on downstairs ceiling!

Take it below floor board level then you can simply carry your flooring on over it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back