Removing my Sink for replacement! ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello... I have 2 questions to ask please, this being the first!...

I have a stainless steel basic (cheapish) sink - single drainer type. I might need to replace it for a new one, of the same size hopefully. How to I remove the sink... ?

I will need to unscrew the waste pipe/trap and also my hot and cold tap supply first, but I am unsure how to remove the sink from the worktop? I noticed some screws underneath it, all around, about 10-12, I undid 3 of them to see if the sink would loosen and it made no difference, so I guessed these screws didn't hold the sink to the worktop?!

Please offer me some advice ! .. Thanks to all of you

Sponsored Links
There will be a dozen or so clips that will need loosening and the sink will also be held in with a silicone seal that will be aucting as an adhesive making your sink feel as if it is in to stay. Give it a bit of assistance from below and it will come out no prob.

Thank you I will try this. I did look for sealant but there was none (well none above my sink between the edge and the worktop)! Is it easy to put a new sink in, I mean with the sealant/clips?

You need to release all of the clamps before the sink will come out. Most sinks that are clamped on don't have silicone sealant - it would be pointless.

However, just in case there is, if you're keeping the worktop then don't be tempted to bang the sink out of the hole, because the silicone will grip it more strongly than the couple of screws used to hold the worktop to the cupboards, so you need to prise it off.

Fitting a new one is easy enough if the hole needed is the same size and shape. If not then you need to pretend to be a carpenter for a few minutes. :D

Sponsored Links
Thankyou I will take your advice! I will get a new sink before I take the old one out! :) But is there standard sizes, so it is easy to get a replacement ? How to I work out the size, measure the whole sinktop or the bowl, drainer, etc??!

I will get a new sink before I take the old one out! :)
Good plan. ;)

But is there standard sizes, so it is easy to get a replacement ?
There are standard sizes, but shapes go in and out of fashion.

How to I work out the size, measure the whole sinktop or the bowl, drainer, etc??!
Measure the whole sinktop, then get one of the same size, or bigger, but not smaller.

ok, if not the same size then a bigger one for obvious reasons! hopefully the bowl will sit in the original worktop hole!!! :) one last thing, thse clamps all around the sink, if the new sink i buy has them in different positions, will i have to drill holes in the worktop to align with the new clamps?!!

ok, if not the same size then a bigger one for obvious reasons! hopefully the bowl will sit in the original worktop hole!!! :)
Indeed so.

Check also that the position and depth of the bowl(s) on the new one can be accommodated.

one last thing, thse clamps all around the sink, if the new sink i buy has them in different positions, will i have to drill holes in the worktop to align with the new clamps?!!
You don't need to drill any holes for the clamps - they work by latching into a slot in the underside of the sink, and then hooking under the countertop - the latter portion has teeth to help it grip while you tighten the screw.

Thanks for your help. I understand now how my sink holds into position after fiddling about for 1/2 hour or so! :) I can now order up a replacement ASAP with confidence. If I choose to buy a plastic sink instead of another stainless steel, which I am kind of thinking about, is it the same kind of procedure for putting into position? Or slightly different?

I've no experience of fitting anything other than butler or stainless steel sinks.

The plastic sinks that I've seen all end up the same way, which is horribly scratched and discoloured by the crud that sticks in the scratches, so if it were my own kitchen I'd never have anything other than SS.

OK thanks for the advice! I think I'll stick to a Stainless Steel sink then!! :) JUst wondered if I had an option though or if Plastic Sinks were installed differently and could possible be swapped?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back