Removing old cable tv wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old cable tv wire which is buried in the front of the house, comes up and through the vents on the wall under the floor boards. Looks a bit unsightly and is just sitting under the floor doing nothing. Can I cut this and leave the end buried under the mud?

Sponsored Links
Yeh Ive been under my floor and it was connected to a t-piece on the “tv” side. Ive removed everything else just want to make sure this can be cut and buried away. Its like a sky type f socket on the end

If I'm understanding your description correctly, this could be a connection for cable TV/internet (currently Virgin Media, but previously known as Nynex or NTL). Their cabling comes from the road as a buried cable. If that's the case, then the cable isn't yours to mess with. That's why @Harry Bloomfield wrote "if you are certain that is what it is.."

You describe the cable as being under the floorboards, so that bit isn't bothering you, surely? I take it then that it's on the outside of the property where it comes up from the ground and goes in via the air brick?

The most I would do in this situation is - if possible - pull it back through the air brick, bag-up and seal the end, then bury it where it rises from the ground. The position would need to be noted in some way so that if you or new owners ever wanted VM in the future then the installer could retrieve the cable with the minimum of fuss. That might not be practical though if it involves disturbing paviors, patterned concrete or a Tarmac finished surface. In that case, leave it alone or hide it with a strategically-positioned pot or trough.

If this or any other reply was helpful to you, then please do the decent thing and click the T-H-A-N-K-S button (not the like button, the Thanks button. The difference is important). It appears when you hover the mouse pointer near the Quote Multi-quote buttons. It costs you nothing. This is the proper way to show your thanks for the time and help someone gave you.

Sponsored Links
Yeh just the fact that on the outside theres a plastic tube coming from the ground then the cable going in the air brick. Putting it in a bag a burying its a good idea though. Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back