Removing old galvanized pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm currently in the process of plastering my room and have found some, what I think is, old galvanized threaded pipes. There is a pipe which runs into the loft which has already been chopped off and capped. There is another capped part which is protruding from the skirting board that I would like removed as well.

Now, ideally I would like to cut off these sections of the pipe and cap it so that it is all hidden under the floorboards and would make plastering the room easier. But I am not sure if this is still being used in my current central heating system or water system. I think it's just the old pipes left from the old central heating.

As far as I can tell my combi boiler system is on copper pipes which doesn't seem to join to these old pipes. I have lifted the floorboards and traced to the bathroom where it disappears under the bathtub.

How can I tell if this old piping is still part of my existing water system? If it's not, how do I go abouts cutting these pipes and capping if necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like an old gas supply or maybe even the current one :?:

You might be right on that. Was just having a dig around and looks like some similar pipes, downstairs under the floorbaords though badly rusted, connects to the gas main. Still not sure if it is live though but not going to touch it myself now.

How much would it take for someone to come and cap it off so it's under the floorboards?

Still wondering why it would go up into the loft though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back