Removing paint from plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please help me....

I wanted to do a quick job of repainting my bathroom in my new house. So I started to sand down some areas where the paint seemed to be lifting and the paint literally started to peel off like wallpaper. Therefore I used the scraper to remove a lot of the old paint. This came off so easily and left behind grey plaster board. Some areas seem to have a thin layer of plaster on them too.....

Now if this had have continued in the same way I would be fine as I could just repaint my brand new surface, but it didn't! I got half way down the wall and the paint stopped coming off so easily! I didn't want to keep scraping it as I didn't want to damage the plasterboard....

Now IF I paint over the wall with my new colour, surely the ridge between the old and the new paint is going to show and look unslightly and like a bodge job!

What should I do? How can I make the wall look smooth and flufh before I repaint it???? Thank you all in advance

Sponsored Links
feather it in with easyfill or else skim the whole wall

If you haven't come across any green facing paper, you might not have moisture resistant plasterboard. If you just want to do a "quick job" and decorate, then fill with Easi-fill and sand down to a flat surface. Consider a couple of coats of drywall sealer before repainting.

On the other hand, if you were thinking of changing the bathroom, replacing plasterboard walls is straightforward DIY. Generally, use moisture resistant plasterboard in bathrooms and kitchens. If you want a shower enclosure, consider Aquapanel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back