Removing pergola

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently moved into a new house and in the garden are two pugulas (i think thats what they are called).

One of the pugulas sits completely on the lawn and the four posts are fixed into the grass with some type of metal bracket.

The second pugula sits on both the lawn and a small area covered with gravel, the two posts fixed to the lawn seem to buried in the ground as i cant see any metal brackets, the two posts fixed to the ground in the gravel also seem to buried (or maybe concreted) as i also cant see any metal bracets here also.

My question is what is the best way to remove the pugulas, what is the best way to remove the posts from the ground (for both the metal bracket held posts and the buried posts)

Thanks in advance :D

Sponsored Links
You mean a pergola?
I'm gonna answer your question with a question. What do you think would be the best way to remove it? As you know what it looks like maybe you could throw some ideas into the mix which will enable us to help you better.

you will probably have to dig them out.

If they are fairly new, and you cut off the posts at about shoulder height, you may be able to wiggle them about enough to loosen and pull them out, but they are very prone tp rot where in contact with the ground so more likely they will break off and leave a useless stump

My first thought was that the posts would have dug out, but never done it before so i thought it best to ask. :D

The problem is the pergola sits about three inches in front of a retaining wall, i want to put a small 3 foot weatherboard cladded Fence on top of the retaining wall. I was going to remove pergola and put up the fence, but removeing pergola seems like it is going to be tricky.

Do you think i could fix a piece of 3x3 at the fence height to the two pergola posts (also 3x3) next to the retaining wall, and then also fix a 3x3 fence post to the retainig wall in the middle of the two bulked out sections of pergola posts next to the retaining wall, then fix the fence rails between the bulked out sections of the the two pergola post and the new fence post in the midle fixed to the wall.

I hope my explainanion makes sense to you. :D

Hope you can help :D

Sponsored Links
wooden posts in the ground go rotten. If it is so close to your wall you will not enjoy digging them out when they do. They will break off at inconvenient times, either in high winds or when someone leans on them.

I much prefer concrete spurs which will not rot and have bolt-holes so you can fasten things to them. If you like, you can use masonry paint to make them blend in with the timber (easier if stained dark).

like this
POL_0109.jpg

apache said:
I hope my explainanion makes sense to you. :D

Hope you can help :D

Made no sense at all, what exactly are you trying to achieve?

Common sense would say dig them out, fairly straighforward. If they are in metal brackets (metposts? ) then they will come out even easier.

If concrete in then a sledgehammer will break this up.

I think your best bet is to try as John says and do the wiggle method. Otherwise cut them off at ground level, bang the remainder in with a sledge/clubhammer, then drill lots of holes in the top of the bit left underground. They will then rot away in their own time. and you won't have disturbed the found of the wall. (if indeed there are any)

Cheers for all your advice boys, i did as you said worked like a charm, i worked the two post on the lawn back and forward farily easy, and cut the two post by the wall then hammered them down and drilled holes in them.

thanks again, keep up the good work.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back