Removing plaster around windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've been taking the plaster off the walls in a bedroom and it's been going alright. I'm yet to go right up to the window frames, though, as I'm not sure "what I'll find". Does the plaster continue behind the frames, between the frame and the brickwork? That is what I've found around doors and, of course, under skirting.

Or is the frame flush with the brick and the plaster just goes right up to it?

Are there any special considerations when removing plaster from these areas, or should in fact I just chip away on the wall clean up to the final angle bead and leave the window recess areas alone if possible? The plaster there is in good condition, I should say.

One window frame is a modern plastic frame, so what about that one? How should I remove plaster up to, around and under this frame - and how easily can it then be replastered?

Some pictures:

Plastic frame:

7Y809oD.jpg

0XdLVhS.jpg

Wooden frame:

oeVhZ8u.jpg

jcKik0N.jpg

1aFHIgF.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
what you think is window frame is actually trim like architrave nailed to the frame to cover the joint with the wall. It will prise off with care. If you scrape the paint away you will see where it joins the frame and put a thin blade in the joint. Look at the mitred corners, that may help. you can restore old or fit new. Do it after replastering.

what you think is window frame is actually trim like architrave nailed to the frame to cover the joint with the wall. It will prise off with care. If you scrape the paint away you will see where it joins the frame and put a thin blade in the joint. Look at the mitred corners, that may help. you can restore old or fit new. Do it after replastering.

ah, I see - thanks. Is it the same with the plastic frames, pretty much?

And, to have the walls replastered, should I be taking the plaster off right up to this point or would one typically leave the window recesses as they are if possible?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back