Removing purlin joining ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a purlin running the width of my loft which joins the celing joists which are done as 2 sections if you know what I mean.

The purlin is located up the middle, and I presume is used as a means of supporting the join of the two ceiling joists so it doesnt sag.

I need to remove this.

Its above a supporting wall, if I reinforce the joins with bolts, should this be sufficient, bearing in mind the whole loft is going to be boarded anyway?

Sponsored Links
You cannot simply remove a purlin. It's there for a structural reason, namely that it allows you to use smaller rafter sizes. If you take it away your roof will sag and need replacing.

You would need to seriously beef up your rafters if you are going to take the purlin away. Seek professional advice.

Actualy, come to think of it, I think you mean the 'joist bearers' which are on the deck. The same principle applies though.

Whilst your climbing down from your high horse.....

Its not supporting the rafters if you read the post properly, its supporting the CEILING joists.

I have separate, larger, beefier purlins supporting the roof itself.

Sponsored Links
andy.budgell said:

Its not supporting the rafters if you read the post properly, its supporting the CEILING joists.

If you ask questions with the wrong terminology - then what do you expect?

My crystal ball is in for a service. Take them out g'wan - you know you want to.

Worra plonka!

So I guess you're not professional advice then!

Dont worry, I'm not interested in making my house unsafe. I am merely looking at the options.

Like I said its above a "supporting wall". Does this not count for anything?

joe-90 said:
andy.budgell said:

If you ask questions with the wrong terminology - then what do you expect?

My crystal ball is in for a service. Take them out g'wan - you know you want to.

Worra plonka!
Moron.
This is for DIY advice init? I'm not a friggin expert in this field, I dont know all the terms. Try reading the post properly before jumping in all guns blazing Mr Jobsworth.

Yes I renovate houses for a living.

Why do you think that when the house was built someone would go to great expense and trouble fitting 'purlins' (sic) that were of no use other than ornament.

Worra clown!

joe-90 said:
Actualy, come to think of it, I think you mean the 'joist bearers' which are on the deck. The same principle applies though.

Wrong again.

The joists dont sit on it, THE PURLIN SITS ACROSS THE JOISTS.
THE PURLIN IS MERELY NAILED INTO THE JOISTS - HARDLY MASSIVE RECINFORCEMENT.

Take it down then you know you want to. It serves no purpose other than decoration.

I've got another tip for you.

Remove the legs of your table then you won't bang your knees on them. :rolleyes:

Oh and what makes you think the 'purlin' is nailed into the joists rather than the joists in the 'joist bearer'?

Penny dropping yet?

joe-90 said:
Oh and what makes you think the 'purlin' is nailed into the joists rather than the joists in the 'joist bearer'?

Cos I've got eyes you ****wit.

andy.budgell said:
joe-90 said:

Cos I've got eyes you ****.

What a pity they aren't connected to a brain. :LOL:

Lets start again Andy. Repost your question replacing the word 'purlin' with 'ceiling binder' and maybe you'll avoid winding people up.

Why would the original builders put them in without good reason?
Why would they be supporting the ceiling joists if above a supporting wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back