Removing radiator for decorating but hit a snag...?

The turny thing is the trv head, someone suggested you get one from bnq because it will come with a decorators cap which will replace the head and guarantee no water can escape. If you have a blanking cap That fits you can use that. The plastic bag mentioned earlier wasn't to stop water but to stop rubbish getting on the valve and head.

Ahh i get you.

How much water are we talking here? The carpet is up & it's just the floor boards that are down.

Does the 5p approach (read that on this forum somewhere) work? Sticking a 5p in where the first photo is & putting the cap back on?

With 2 radiators being in the room we'd need 2 of those. £40 is a bit of a layout if say that 5p approach would likely work.

Not sure i got the name & address line...? In fact i know i didn't. Is that a way of saying it looks knackered?

Sponsored Links
On my thermostatic valves screwing the valve closed (to its frost setting) stops water flowing from them. I assume it would be different if the temp went down to frost or something tho.

All the ones I have seen have been the opposite to that, no head is full on! Screwfix do a trv for 3 quid that may well come with a suitable cap.

Sponsored Links
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p74156 +
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p39682

Screw on the end of the pipe TRV valve, take the TRV off so you don't paint it, and get on with the job.
Got them for the sides. It was the top i needed something for. Needed it for tonight as they're starting tomorrow.

Anyway got on with the job & water was piddling everywhere. I mean, it was coming out with some pressure.

At this point i tried the 5p in the TRV head to push that valve thing down. This worked a treat & water soon stopped coming out with force. Tightened that down on the top & then capped the sides. Did the same with the big radiator.

I hung about for half an hour & there was no leaks, so i'm hoping that the 5p piece trick has worked out.

I'm also hoping that no expert comes in here & says ... "ahh but the real test is when you wait 35 mins, not 30 mins & you're now likely to have flooded your house" :evil:

Provided you've capped the rad connection on the TRV, you should be OK. The trick is in stopping the water before you cap it, the colder it is in the room, the more likely the water is to flow.

rjm2k";p="3025131 said:
All the ones I have seen have been the opposite to that, no head is full on! /quote]

What am I thinking?? Of course you're correct, I've edited my post accordingly. Apologies for being misleading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back