Removing radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently moved into a new house am in the process of decorating the rooms and need to remove the radiators to paint behind them. I've not seen these types of valves before and was hoping someone could advise on how i would go about disconnecting it?
2vdmpec.jpg

Sponsored Links
That’s a pain, it is a dual (or twin) entry valve, now obsolete.
One pipe is fitted with a dip pipe that extends across the inside of the bottom of the radiator to the far side the other is not extended this ensures the water circulates the radiator rather than just entering the rad and leaving immediately.

Some have a second valve next to the one on the flow pipe that can be used to balance or shut off the return pipe, yours does not seem to have one, or a union at the radiator connection however even if there was, turning off the valves would not allow you to remove the rad unless you slid it sideways almost it’s full length to clear the dip pipe.

You will need to drain the system and undo the two nuts to remove the rad complete with valve.

Frankly if you go to that extreme it’s worth extending one pipe to the other end along the skirting and fitting normal separate valves as there will not be much service life left in your old one, sods law that it will leak a month after you have finished decorating!

Best bet is to leave the rads on and use one of these to paint behind.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/flexible-mini-roller-set-45in/invt/154823/

Best wishes,
footprints

Yup, echo what footprints has said.

If the radiator is still working ok then best left alone. These types of entry valve are notorious for failing when played with (the long feed pipe snaps off) or sludging up and if you disturb it then you may find that the valve get blocked and wont work properly. Even then with the amount of paint on it, removing those couplings will be fun too.

If changing to a normal BBOE setup is not an option then leave well alone would be my advice.

Sponsored Links
Yeah thought it might not be so easy, think I'll leave them for the moment. Thanks for all the info.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back