Removing Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm decorating the front room of our house at the moment, but unfortunately when a new heating system was installed the radiators have been fitted over the top of existing wallpaper, which not only makes removal of the existing wallpaper very tricky, but means that behind the radiators there is exposed plaster where the old mounting brackets for the previous radiators were, which needs attention.

I've purchased a RadkitPro and successfully used it on the main radiator in the room, as it has a manual valve, but the two smaller radiators have Honeywell Thermostatic valves. Unfortunately, I can't seem to shut the valves down on these, which means I can't get the radiators away from the walls to do the decorating properly.

It can't be left as it is as the wallpaper looks ragged, and the plaster needs treating.

Is anyone able to advise as to how I can shut these valves down to remove these radiators without draining down the system?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Unless you have the decorators caps for the TRV's or can get them then you need to either freeze or drain to that rad.
If you're not sure about any of that then time to get the pro's in as Slapper mentions :)

I'd just drain down the system. It's pretty quick and easy to do, and you can use the opportunity to refill with clean fresh water and inhibitor.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, if you can confidently & safely remove the thermostatic head you will reveal the actual valve with a pin sticking up.

If you have the cover cap the TVR came with, you only need to thread the cap on to the valve and it will push the pin down and isolate the water supply.

Some claim that loading the pin with a few small coins will also do the trick?

Only work with cool water in the system - its safer.

If water leaks out of the valve when the pin is activated up and down then the TVR needs changing.

the two smaller radiators have Honeywell Thermostatic valves. Unfortunately, I can't seem to shut the valves down on these,

Contact Honeywell's consumer support line on 01344 656 200 (select Option 1 and then Option 1) and ask them to send you two "decorators caps". They will need to know which model TRV you have.

remove the trv head and place an old half pence or metal disc of similar size inside the head, refit the head and screw down shut.

• Thanks
Reactions: ree
Apologies for the late response, but I just wanted to thank everybody for taking the time to reply.

I tried the method with some old coins and couldn't get it to work, but it did give me another idea, and I managed to get the rads off by temporarily swapping the TRV for the manual valve head from the other radiator to close it off.

All paper removed, plaster treated and a nice coat of colour in behind before they went back up on the walls, and now the room is fully painted.

Just the glossing left to do now! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back