Removing self tapping masonry bolt trouble..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bit of a problem trying to remove 3 very large self tapping masonry bolts/screws which were fixed in to the middle of each brick. the bricks are on the corner of the wall. I'm not sure how long they are, but the heads are hex. about 15mm head, and protrude about 10cm
I have tried a spanner, but the force is twisting the shaft.

Could I just cut them off flush to the brick, or should I try to remove them totally? not sure if they would expand with rust and cause problems.

Sponsored Links
Fence or gate post? Could grind or hacksaw them flush, but I can't see why they should be so hard to get out. Ring spanner would be better than open end.

Sponsored Links
got them out this morning!
after reading your posts I had another go with a ring spanner as suggested, but used a LOT more force. I thought if the shafts shear, i'd just cut them flush to the brick. I can get the batten on for the gates now!
thanks for the help lads :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back