Removing sink pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, I want to remove a small sink from a bedroom in our house. The pipes leading off to the right of the attached picture are the water supplies for the
sink so obviously will need them capping off.

I understand this isn't a job for a DIYer so plan to get a plumber in but want to make sure I get a proper job. So am I right in thinking that a plumber doing a proper job would de-solder the T-joint, remove it and then just join the pipes being retained with a new soldered joint straight-through?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

LJI3BOnLTQqwjXlcwoGtZcICgpvimOEF6M0SCN6I9q9CLaLZUYgp_Ttzb4kMmZ5q8G_82Gzu-ty5DhJECVCpKklWC2DOmSXlAH6oiS7zURsLmm6cnygJXOk-bNE5g45k1VFaaKU

Sponsored Links
Just cap the pipes to the basin. Too much trouble removing the tees for no gain.

Do it yourself with compression caps.
But leave the dead legs as short as you can.

Thanks guys. Would leaving even a small dead leg not create a potential legionella issue? I read somewhere not to leave more than 1.5x the diameter of the pipe as a dead leg....?

Sponsored Links
Just cap it as close to the tee as possible. Or remove the tee if you prefer, no need to de-solder, just cut it out and replace with two unions and a piece of pipe.

If you're getting a plumber in, as suggested, I would refrain from telling him how he should be doing it. It will not go well... I would cap it and if told by a customer that I should be removing the T and doing it otherwise... I would be charging "accordingly".

Plumber's Price Guide:

If you don't offer tea or coffee...............................................extra £5
If you watch..........................................................................extra £40
If you offer advice.................................................................extra £60
If you or your friend has a go.................................................extra £100
If you or your friend has a go but didn't mention it .................extra £160
If you watched a video online and thought it would be easy.....extra £200

Andy

No need to get over sensitive guys, as I said in the OP, just wanted to make sure I get a proper job, which isn't the same as telling him how to do it.... :D

If capping without removing the T is legit then all good.

Cheers for everyone's input (y)

No need to get over sensitive guys, as I said in the OP, just wanted to make sure I get a proper job, which isn't the same as telling him how to do it.... :D

If capping without removing the T is legit then all good.

Cheers for everyone's input (y)

No problem. That'll be £240. I'll send you my PayPal details :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back