Removing solid and true render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to re-board my bathroom and am happy to remove all and sundry from the bricks but having got to under the window in my small (2.4m x 2.2m) room I am faced with total rock solid concrete render that has a thin (3-5mm)skim on top, this extends about 1400 high under and to the left of the window.
Over and round the window the original plaster is useless and will have to come off, this solid area will be above a bath and extends 450mm to the left of the window on the left and I have removed it from the right side of the window as this is where the shower will be and I will line with hardiebacker then tank it, As the cement render is super solid and dead true should I leave it and butt up to it with the hardie.? The tiles I am using are 250 x 400 ceramic 8mm? When I removed the bits on the right for the shower I found the render is coming off but with brick attached that's why I think to leave it on would be ok! Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
As you say it will bring the face off the brick so you either take it off and re-render or leave it on and butt to it your choice really, ;)

Thanks Roy, having spent the day locked in the bathroom I have managed to chip off the old skim from the solid concrete render. Took off 8mm of skim to reveal what appears to be the "concrete tile adhesive" used when the house was built! (circa 1935).
Although no tiles are remaining you can clearly see where they were including at the top edge a smooth half rounded top border tile. Also
as I said the concrete tile adhesive is superbly solid and true, seems a shame now to hide it behind hardie .

As you say it will bring the face off the brick so you either take it off and re-render or leave it on and butt to it your choice really, ;)
Sorry to ask a daft question Roy but if the face of some bricks came off on an internal wall would re rendering them with a concrete render be acceptable repair before boarding out?

Sponsored Links
just use OCR made by WEBBER that will do the job if you really feel the need to before boarding

Thanks skimmers, as I told Roy I started to remove some and stopped but the render is an inch thick, the faces of the brick that have been damaged aren't severe but faceless they are. I really want to take it all off but am worried about the damage it will cause, unless the damage is not serious or is an easy repair.
I think your opinion is I don't really need to do anything other than board out?
Am I right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back