Removing solid fuel fire (Dual Feed)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, I am new here and just bought my first home and needs a good bit of work so you can expect more questions like this to help me along!

In my living room I have a solid fuel fire, from what I am told this is hooked up to my central heating system (oil) so wanting to know if this is something I can remove myself and if so, how? Or should I just get a plumber in to do it for me?

Fire can be seen here

36792993.jpg

Any help would be appreiated.

Sponsored Links
Anyone able to provide information as I want to try and get rid of it tomorrow.

Thanks
David

I have a solid fuel fire, from what I am told this is hooked up to my central heating system (oil)

You will need to check where/how it is connected as these will need to be blanked off.
If you are not sure where they connect, get a plumber to do that bit.

Not hard to remove the boiler yourself. Get yourself some PPE, gloves, goggles, dust mask, boots or whatever?
Turn off any electrics and drain down heating system.
Remove fireplace (brickwork)
Remove door (it lifts off) and surround (4 screws) from roomheater.
Get a club hammer and a chisel at least a foot long or a decent SDS with roto stop and start hacking at the brickwork around boiler. You will be able to see where it has been built in. It's around 30" square. Hope its been filled with loose mica as it will be easier, but probably not.
Keep digging out around boiler until you have exposed sides and top.
There will be 2 x 28mm pipes on 1 side and 2 x 22mm pipes on the other and a 5" piece of flue around a foot long, usually cast iron, off the top connecting to chimney.

If you are getting a plumber to do the pipes leave it at this.

If not and you fancy doing it yourself, cut the pipes with a junior hacksaw or quicker, batter the chisel through them where the pipes join to the boiler. (If you try slackening the nuts it won't come out unless you have it cleared completely around as you need movement and these things are not light.)
Knock the chisel in at the front edge of the flue and see if it will slide up. If it won't, just smash the cast or steel flue pipewith the hammer and chisel.
Boiler will now pull out.

Cap off old pipes at suitable position.

If you have never done anything like this before it will not be easy work and you will be at it all day.

I tamz, thank you very much for the information.

Will get up early tomorrow and give it a bash and hopefully all will go well, then I can get started on my AV setup :evil:

My brother is pretty handy with plumbing, he done his first year a college, twice lol so he knows the basics and has done a few homers for people, also one of his best friends is a plumber/electrician/everything! So if I get stuck I know I can phone someone but I like getting dirty and doing things myself :D

Sponsored Links
Hey everyone, I am new here and just bought my first home and needs a good bit of work
Any help would be appreiated.
It sure does - get rid of that Artex :!: ;) Good Luck , feel free to return

watch out when cutting the pipes that your not draining a direct hot water cylinder.it can be a bit of a problem.

Jeez, I've not seen a Livingroom like that since my Granny was alive and her house in Clydebank got bombed during WW2!! Was that an Estate Agents marketing photo or do you live in that 50's retro style???

Gawd, seeing that roomheater takes me back.....The Vermiculite & tiled fireplaces eh! The roomheater & tiled surround, cylinder & 5 radiators £80, now that was a hard shift on piece work. Two of us & a Bedford van.

I've a Spark mate tamz, he makes me laff. He always says; 'look at that scheme up the road 200 f.cking houses, all wired with a pair of pliers & a brace 'n' bit'!!

Brace and bit, essential part of yer kit along wi a fkin rawlplug tool and a swedger :eek: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back