Removing stone(s) from a chimney stack?

Well, you seem to be back at the place i first selected for you.
Perhaps take out the smallest block, (angle grind the beds) and view or work from that access.

If that wall is a gable wall then you should be able to see the elec. service entering at some point.
Taking a service thro flues, active or redundant, is v. bad practice, probably illegal.
If it is a main power supply, then where is your consumer unit?
On second thoughts, why not post a pic, and if its significant maybe transfer the elec business to the elec forum?
Some sparkies drop cable down redundant flues, but its still not a good idea.
Contact your utility, they will come out for free.

You use the term "twigs" i assume in a technical sense ref. elec networks. Or are you referring to foliage debris?

Sponsored Links
Hi dann09,
I had pressed on before seeing your last post and had chiselled away the mortar at my best guess as to where the flue was. I pushed a light up the flue from the fireplace to be sure I was at the right place. When chiselling away at the mortar some of the sandstone brick came away so I continued to chisel away a little more until I had enough to work with and get my poles/sweep in. The blockage turned out to be between the bottom of the loft and the top of the bedroom but by pushing the poles down to the bottom then attaching a plunger attachment down there and working it up and down I eventually managed to dislodge the bricks. There were quite a lot of these and I presume they have come from between the two flues on the left hand side as this is completely broken through. I then had to go in the opposite direction as there was about a metre+ deep of birds nest between the loft and the top of the chimney stack.

So, the outcome of the long story above is that I now have a completely clear flue from the fireplace to the chimney and what remains is as follows;
1. Sort out the electrical cable coming through. That's a good idea to post in the electrical forum. Now that I have it all open I can see that the cable is coming through one of the redundant flues but even if I wanted to clear that flue for ventilation reasons I couldn't for risk of catching the cable. To answer your question the consumer unit is in an upstairs cupboard and the cable goes from the wall through the loft and down into this cupboard.
2. I need to either run a liner, or block up the gap between the two flues. Even if I fit a liner do I still need to replace the brickwork between them, is this likely to have a any structural implications for the stack?
3. Clear out the bedroom flue as I have access to it through the gap now anyway
4. Get cowling's on the chimney stacks to prevent more future nests.

Thanks

So, you have located and, lower down, cleared rubble from the damaged feather and, higher up, birds nests?

The feather must be repaired - given future unknowns ref. gas or solid fuel fumes in either flue.

Finally, sweep and smoke test the flue to be certain that it is definitely clear and sound. Do likewise with the bedroom flue if possible.

Where you have broken into the sandstone, brick up. Its easier than masonry work.

Get your DNO (elec. utility), or a sparkie, out for a view of your service cable.
Besides the sloppy flue business, overhead supplies require a specific main earthing. Worth checking in the light of the supply.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dann09, might be a few days or more before I get back to it now but I at least have a plan to work with now that I know its clear.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back