Removing stonewalls and patio from front driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Im looking for some guidance re how best to remove stone walls and patio from front garden to flatten and pave for off road parking. Any advice really welcome. See attached pic. Cheers

Sponsored Links
I find a mattock is a useful tool for levering up paving slabs. I can't tell how large the slabs are from your photo, but be aware that the larger concrete slabs can be really heavy - if they're too heavy to lift and carry by yourself, then it's usually possible to lift them onto one edge and 'walk' them on their corners.

The wall can be broken up by attacking the mortar, either with a bolster chisel and lump hammer or SDS drill with a chisel attachment. Start with the top layer and work your way down. You'll need a skip for all the rubble.

It might be best to keep the wall bordering the communal walkway, so you might want to keep the pillar at the pavement end too, in which case take care when removing bricks near that pillar. When knocking boundary walls down, make sure first that they're your's to knock down ! It's always worth talking to the neighbours before your start, regardless.

It might not be wise to dig too much away near the house for fear of affecting the foundations, so I wonder if a slope (sloping from pavement level to the existing ground level next to the house wall) would be the answer ? If in doubt about the foundations, seek advice on this.

I'm not sure if planning permission is required for jobs like this. You'll also have to contact the council about lowering the paving stones along the edge of the pavement and that won't be cheap.

Lastly - I'm not sure your garden is long enough to get my car on there - are you happy that's it's long enough for a family car, to make it worth the effort ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back