Removing Stud wall advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy,

Would love some experienced advice on this one. I have a first floor Edwardian flat which has one other flat above, 2 below. I want to change the layout as the location of the bathroom is quite awkward and the kitchen is too big for a one bed.

I would like an open plan lounge kitchen and would like to move the bathroom(see below) by removing a stud wall around the bathroom. I have cut into the plasterboard and the timbers all sit under the plasterboard of the ceiling and look new, the original plan of the property also show this didn't exist and the bathroom used to be at the front left of the house.

I know the wall through the middle is structural as I can see the joists of the floor above sit directly on top of this. I won't touch this wall.

I have planning consent from building control to proceed with the work and they gave no provision on this to get a structural survey and seem happy for me to proceed.

however how confident should I be about removing the bathroom wall? And how can I do this safely? I know the joists of the floor above are 8x2, and the span of my lounge would be 6500mm x 4500mm.
Would I need additional support/walls elsewhere? A few builders have told me to go ahead as the bathroom wasn't there originally- but the span of ceiling worries me. One advised to put some ceiling jacks there loosely and leave them for 2 weeks after the wall is removed to check for movement.

The first photo shows the awkward bathroom in the lounge on wish to move, the second shows where the bathroom wall meets the ceiling.

Many thanks for any advice in advance.

IMG_0515.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2675.JPG
    IMG_2675.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_2672.JPG
    IMG_2672.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back